Tuesday 22 March 2016

Biscuit house

For my friends birthday a few weeks ago (that's how behind I am on writing blog posts), I decided that as he had made me a cake for my birthday, I should make him one.

Now we have this joke, because he hates ginger and cinnamon, meaning that he hates gingerbread and cinnamon swirls and just all of the things that are right in the world. I find this appalling and terrible and am working tirelessly to change his taste buds.

So, to help with this, I decided to go all out and make a ginger bread house.

I haven't really had the best history with gingerbread houses. I have always loved the concept, but I'm not so good at the making and construction work. When I was in year 5, my primary school started a project (in a very delusional way) for everyone to make a gingerbread house and decorate it. That one actually went quite well, if I remember correctly. Well, I suppose apart from it being inedible!

I was so inspired by this one that I made in school, I decided to make another. I looked it up on the internet, and downloaded the first recipe I found. However, it turned out that this recipe included about 10000000 tonnes of treacle in it, meaning that the dough was so soft and squidgy that the walls just bent and broke in you tried to stand them up.

Then, one Christmas, I received a pre baked kit, one that you just had to assemble and decorate to save the trauma of baking. I then took it up to my aunt and uncle who live a 4 hour car ride away, when we went to see them a couple of days after Christmas. It lasts fine for 3 hours, 50 minutes. It wasn't until the last 10 minutes that it collapsed, getting icing everywhere in the car!

Since those experiences, my mum has kind of banned gingerbread houses!

But then when I was thinking about it, I decided it was silly to do something that he wouldn't even like or get any enjoyment out of for his birthday. So, with a heavy heart, I decided against the gingerbread.

I still really wanted to do a house though, because I was desperate to do some construction - I was sure that I could make it work this time!

So, after a little googling, I found a recipe for a normal biscuit house.

And that's what I made!

However, me being me, I didn't think of taking any photos until it was finished, so sorry, you don't get to see the work in progress!





It lasted all day, survived the trauma of the bus and of general school life and was still in one piece at break would you believe! And, it tasted alright too! A real success I would say!

See you soon!

The recipe I used: http://www.goodhousekeeping.co.uk/food/recipes/snowy-biscuit-lodge


No comments:

Post a Comment