Monday 7 March 2016

Banana or a block of gold?


As you should well know by now, my favourite colour is yellow. I love it, it reminds me of smiles and summer and sunshine. Yes, the alliteration was planned.

But the other day in maths my friend and I were having a little bit of a disagreement (while also listening to the fascinating maths as well of course!), because he said that he liked the colour gold.

Now I dislike the colour gold, because I feel like it is just a dirty yellow - a yellow gone wrong. The fact that it is one of the most valuable metals on the planet clearly isn't a factor here.

So I was then proposed a question: If you had nothing, would you rather have a banana or a block of gold?

I suppose the obvious answer is the block of gold, but as the banana was the yellow object is this equation, I had to stick to my stubborn guns and say a banana.

And when I was asked why, I just simply said that it is better because its yellow.

Which I do believe.

But then being the very competitive people that we are, we couldn't just leave it at that. We had to find out who was right - by conducting a survey!

We asked the people around us (who were also enjoying the fascinating maths lesson) whether they would rather have a banana or a block of gold.

Now, most of them did sense that this was probably a trick question, and so after a quiet moment of pondering the majority replied that they would infact prefer to have a banana.

And they actually came up with some way better reasons then I was capable of.

One person said that you couldn't go into a shop and just buy things with a block of gold, they wouldn't accept it. It wouldn't fit in the till, and how on earth would you give change from a block of gold?

Another person said that if you were stranded on a desert island, a block of gold would be absolutely no use to you, whereas a banana could be the thing that keeps you alive (or helps you to make peace with the resident monkeys).

Another person said that you could use the banana to grow a banana tree and sell your wonderful organic fair trade bananas to earn money.

Another person said that the block of gold didn't actually specify the size, and you can't just assume that it's large. It could be false advertising, and be the size of a dust particle, meaning that the banana would in fact be more valuable.

And of course, the most important reason being the fact that it's yellow, and I need to beat my friend!

So please, take everything that you have just read into consideration, and comment down below with your choice and your reason (be as creative as possible!) - and remember, you're on MY side!

See you soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment