Saturday 3 January 2015

Google, gurgle or gargle...

I had the weirdest thought on the way to the bus stop this morning. Why is Google called Google? Why not Gurgle? If an Irish or Scottish or Welsh person says Google, does it sound like Gurgle? And what is the difference between gurgling and gargling? Like I said... weird!

The word Google (in a maths sense) means a number with one hundred zero's. So does that mean that the search engine Google has 10000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000 websites on it? (And yes, that does actually have 100 zero's - count if you don't believe me). That number is very very very very very big, as you can probably tell, but is there that many websites in the word? I don't know. There are millions and millions of websites, but is there really Google? Or is the search engine lying to us in it's name? And if it is, surely it should be renamed to something like: 'several thousand million'? What do you think? Please tell me in the comments section down below. Ooh, I just remembered a fun fact about Google I heard a little while ago: Did you know, that the most searched thing on Bing, is Google? 

Now, onto my next point about the word gurgle! Yay! Actually, I was just thinking, is gurgle even a word? I think it is, but I may have made it up... let me check in the online dictionary (on Google). OK, so the dictionary says:
(of babies) to make a happy sound with the back of the throat, or (of water, especially small streams) to flow quickly while making a low, pleasant sound.


This is meant to be a gurgling baby!
I didn't make it up! That's reassuring, because I can never tell, I make words up all the time. So, the word gurgle describes a baby noise or water... well that isn't quite what I was expecting, and takes me a little off topic. I was expecting the dictionary to say something like 'the noise the stomach makes when one is hungry'. Is it just me who's tummy gurgles? Or am I a little bit weird and should consider seeing a doctor? Hmmm... Anyway, back to my original point... If someone from Ireland or Scotland or even Wales said the word Google, would it sound like the word gurgle? Because that would be a little confusing. But then what would the word gurgle sound like? Would it sound like Google, or just like gurgle, or like something else entirely?

Now, onto my final point, which actually is a little redundant now after that last little dictionary search. What is the difference between gargling and gurgling? This came from when I was going on about gurgling water, and how it helped me when I had a sore throat (try it, and see if it helps you). But then I was told that the proper word was gargling, and I suddenly had no idea what gurgling actually was (hence, looking it up in the dictionary to ensure my sanity). But now I can tell you with full honesty that gargling is something that can be slightly repulsive with water in your mouth, and gurgling is a baby noise, water sound, and perhaps a stomach rumble (I'm still considering it).

Anyway, if you found any of this mildly amusing or entertaining or just downright weird and you'd like to read more, please continue to read my blog.
Thank you.

No comments:

Post a Comment